If you’re a university student in the Louisville area odds are you could be saving some money by simply presenting your student ID to businesses you normally shop or eat at. Most student discounts will only save you about 10%-20% depending on where you go, but over time this adds up.
Consider you eat at your favorite restaurant once a week for a whole year and your average order is about $10. Over the course of a year you’ll at this restaurant 52 times, spending $520. Without any student discount this doesn’t seem too bad, but what if you were to make use of that student ID in your wallet and save 15% every time you went?
Every time you go you only save about a $1.50, give or take. Over the course of the year you would save almost $80. What could you do with an extra eighty bucks?
By using student discounts at where you shop at most, the savings begin to rack up. For those in college, you can never save too much money. Take a look at the list below and see if you’re missing out on easy ways to save!
University of Louisville (may apply to other universities as well)
For most online discounts, University of Louisville students will need to login to the discount web page found here and login with their ID. This is true for all discounts listed here:
- Cleanitsupply.com offers a wide variety of cleaning products for applications of all sorts. 20% off college cleaning kits and 10% off of everything on their site.
- EZWatch.com is a provider of home video surveillance systems. They offer multi camera systems that are specific for indoor and outdoor use as well as ones equipped with night vision. 10% off the entire site.
- JustMensRings.com is a supplier of men’s fashion rings as well as wedding bands, designer rings, and other male jewelry. 10% off site-wide.
- Just as the name implies, lamps.com has one of the widest selection of lighting available on the market. 15% off site-wide.
- Great Wolf Lodge Cincinnati/Mason
- The Great Wolf Lodge offers a 10% discount on your next stay to all University of Louisville members.
- Louisville Zoo
- All university members can save on day tickets or yearly memberships
- Gheens Science Hall and Rauch Planetarium
- Faculty and staff are able to purchase a single guest ticket at the University of Louisville rate
Frazier Historical Museum – Free to all faculty and staff with ID
Actors Theatre – With a valid student ID, students can receive 10% off of single tickets to selected performances. This is subject to the availability of tickets, limit two per person. Students and employees may also receive season ticket packages. Students receive 7 plays for $70, educators can receive 7 plays for $140. More information can be found on their website here.
U of L Athletics
- Baseball, Field Hockey, Lacrosse, Softball, Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Men’s and Women’s Tennis are all free
Cell Service discounts– UL of Students can receive discounts on cellular plans through the University with popular providers like Sprint and Verizon.
Eye Specialists of Louisville – 20% off of LASIK eye procedure for University of Louisville faculty, staff, and their families
U of L School of Dentistry offers 10% off of most orthodontic services for faculty, staff and their families.
Most common chain restaurants offer some small discount to students whether they advertise it or not. It usually hovers around 10% or a free item. These discounts or deals will vary from chain to chain. University of Louisville students can pay with their student cards as a discount at:
- Buffalo Wild Wings
- Dairy Queen
- Pizza Hut
Retail stores often offer a little bit more. Codes are included beside each website link and are current as of writing this article. You should check on the website before paying to ensure the discount still applies.
J-Crew offers a 15% discount on all full-priced items. In store only, must have student ID.
- The only J-Crew store in Louisville is located in the Paddock Shops on Summit Plaza Dr.
The Limited offers a 15% discount at all store locations with student ID.
- The Limited is located at both Mall of St. Matthews and Oxmoor Center on Shelbyville Road.
Charlotte Russe offers a 10% discount at all store locations with student ID.
- Charlotte Russe is located at Mall of St. Matthews on Shelbyville Road and the Jefferson Mall on the Outer Loop.
Francesca’s offers a 10% student discount at all store locations with student ID.
- Francesca’s is located in the Oxmoor Center on Shelbyville Road and in the Paddock Shops on Summit Plaza Drive.
Asos.com offers a 10% off every day. Must register on their site and they’ll send you a code good for an entire academic year.
- ASOS has no stores located in Louisville.
Banana Republic offers an everyday savings of 15% off full priced purchases for students and teachers with a valid ID in-stores only.
- Banana Republic is located in the Paddock Shops on Summit Plaza Drive and in the Oxmoor Center on Shelbyville Road.
Eddie Bauer offers 10% off full-priced and sale items in all of their store locations as long as you bring your student ID.
- Eddie Bauer is located in the Oxmoor Center on Shelbyville road.
Most large newspapers offer a nice discount to students and educators. If you have a specific newspaper that isn’t listed on here, just google “Your Favorite newspaper + Student discount” and see what comes up. It also can’t hurt to call them and ask as well.
New York Times
- Digital only subscription varies from $1.88 – $4.38 per week.
- Print delivery varies greatly depending on your area of residence. It still ends up being cheaper than a traditional subscription but some services are only offered to select areas. You can find out more information on their website here.
- With the Wall Street Journal you can receive up to a 15 week subscription for only $1 per week. You receive the paper 6 days of the week and receive access to the online version that can be accessed from your favorite smart device.
- Graduate level students can also receive steep discounts up to 75% off of subscription. You may need to contact their customer service department to claim this one though.
- Students are able to take part of an introductory offer where they can receive digital or print access for 12 weeks for $12. Or if you want to opt to receive both it’s only $15 for the same 12 weeks.
If you have even a semi-clean driving record and a high GPA, odds are likely you and/or your parents could save on your auto insurance. Most insurance companies offer 15% to 25% discounts depending on their policy. Simply contact your agent and ask if there are any discounts for good grades.
Apple typically offers discounts for students and educators that vary from 5% and up. Apple also offers financing for students and free two day shipping for all in-stock items. If you visit your school’s bookstore you can usually receive some sort of discount through them as well.
More info can be found on the Apple website.
Amazon offers their prime service to students for 50% off the regular price. Students are able to take a 6 month free trial before buying, and the yearly membership only comes out to $50 after the discount. Prime members receive free two-day shipping on most orders and can stream movies, television, and music through Amazon’s applications.
Just a short review of my experience with them; I definitely believe membership is worth it if you frequently shop online. The two day shipping is great and I have downloaded the prime music app to my iPhone. Over the past few months it has taken over Pandora as my go to app for music. It’s cleaner, I can skip as many times as I want, move to specific parts in a song, and even download them onto my phone. It’s like Amazon combined Spotify and Pandora into one! Prime members also receive member only benefits such as 24 hour sales, and access to new amazon services like Prime Pantry. Overall, I’ve had a great experience with them, and the two day shipping has already paid for itself over and over again.
Not a student? You can still enjoy the benefits of Amazon Prime and claim a 30 day free trial.
Traveling any time soon? Greyhound offers a 20% discount on walk-up fares, and 40% off on packages shipped through their service. The only catch is you must purchase their Student Advantage Discount Card which is a flat $20.
This list will be continually updated as new deals are discovered. If you have an offer that is not on this list, feel free to mention it in the comments below!